[Wylug-help] Graphics Card Recommendations

Steve King steve at kingsteve.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 08:19:04 GMT 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Nik Jewell wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can anybody recommend a cheap freely available (ie not a relic that I'm
> going to have to search for on ebay) AGP graphics card that they have
> had *absolutely no bother with* with X.
>
> I'm after 65k colours at 1600*1200 so 32Mb or 64Mb will do.  I have no
> 3D/OpenGL requirements.
>
> The cheapest commonly available contender would appear to be a Radeon
> 7000, but googling for this reveals many tales of woe with the drivers.
>
> I'm looking for something at the ~£30 mark.

I have had no problems with any geforce2/4 card. The gpl drivers are
great, but if you're wanting to get some openGL action the nvidia
drivers are pretty hot (although these have been known to kill things!)

A geforce2mx400 will set you back £24+vat from ebuyer. For 2d stuff this
will be great (it's a 64mb card) - ebuyer.co.uk quickcode 56628. There
are others for a little more which have more 3d oomph.

Steve