[Wylug-help] Linux and Win2000

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 10:15:02 GMT 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 04:44:10PM +0000, John G Marsh wrote:

> I manage our 2 networks at Harrogate Grammar School: NT & Win98 stations
> and Win2000 & XP stations and have been experimenting connecting Linux
> stations to the Win2000 server. I have got everything working except being
> able to log on to a Linux station and getting the Win2000 server to
> authenticate the log on using its database of users. Am I wasting my time
> or is this possible and if so how?

Hi John,

Yes, it is possible (as others have confirmed).  For good technical
reasons, Linux is WYLUG members' preferred server platform, but I wanted
to confirm that authentication against Microsoft's Active Directory is
entirely possible.

A couple of my colleagues recently used Active Directory to provide
identification and authorisation for a Linux-based IMAP mail system at
Suffolk College (10,000 users).  They may not have the time to explain
the details, but long Linux experience has taught me that knowing
whether or not something is even possible helps to avoid the worst red
herrings.

I would also endorse Phil Driscoll's advice about reading the Samba Docs
(a premier source on Linux-Windows interoperability) and about the SuSE
Schools mailing list.

Dave
--
DAVE FISHER, Marketing Director
GBdirect Consultancy and Training, Leeds Innovation Centre