[Wylug-help] Linux and Win2000

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 11:35:44 GMT 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 04:44:10PM +0000, John G Marsh wrote:
> >
> > I manage our 2 networks at Harrogate Grammar School: NT & Win98 stations
> > and Win2000 & XP stations and have been experimenting connecting Linux
> > stations to the Win2000 server. I have got everything working except being
> > able to log on to a Linux station and getting the Win2000 server to
> > authenticate the log on using its database of users. Am I wasting my time
> > or is this possible and if so how?
>
> Hi John,
>
> Yes, it is possible (as others have confirmed).  For good technical
> reasons, Linux is WYLUG members' preferred server platform, but I wanted
> to confirm that authentication against Microsoft's Active Directory is
> entirely possible.
>
> A couple of my colleagues recently used Active Directory to provide
> identification and authorisation for a Linux-based IMAP mail system at
> Suffolk College (10,000 users).  They may not have the time to explain
> the details, but long Linux experience has taught me that knowing
> whether or not something is even possible helps to avoid the worst red
> herrings.
>
> I would also endorse Phil Driscoll's advice about reading the Samba Docs
> (a premier source on Linux-Windows interoperability) and about the SuSE
> Schools mailing list.

I can't help but feel we're only addressing half the issue here.  I think you
might also want to read some of the docs about using an AD server to provide
user information using nss_ldap.  I've toyed with using openldap to provide
authentication information, and that worked fine.  During my foray down that
road, I read a lot on openldap.org mailing lists about authenticating against
an AD server (for the setup described here).

HTH, and sorry it's a little vague,

jh

--
"Le sens commun n'est pas si commun."                -- Voltaire