[Wylug-help] Graphics Card Recommendations

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 18:40:20 GMT 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Nik Jewell wrote:

> Can anybody recommend a cheap freely available (ie not a relic that I'm
> going to have to search for on ebay) AGP graphics card that they have
> had *absolutely no bother with* with X.
>
> I'm after 65k colours at 1600*1200 so 32Mb or 64Mb will do.  I have no
> 3D/OpenGL requirements.
>
> The cheapest commonly available contender would appear to be a Radeon
> 7000, but googling for this reveals many tales of woe with the drivers.
>
> I'm looking for something at the ~£30 mark.

GeForce 2 or 4 MX.  You can get them for about 30 quid (28.34 at
cclcomputers.co.uk) and they've been fine in X, especially as of late.
They're 64Mb so have plenty of RAM.  I used to run a GF2MX 32Mb at 1600x1200
75Hz and never had any bother.

Generally performance under the open source nv driver is good, but no 3D.
Using the binary driver, performance isn't half bad with 3D, especially if
it's not really what you're buying it for.  I've got a variety of GeForces and
have had *no* bother under X.  Never heard of anyone having *any* problems
with the nv driver.  Have no idea what video playback is like with
nv though.

jh

--
"Literature is the art of writing something that will be read twice.
 journalism what will be grasped at once."           -- Cyril Connolly