[Wylug-help] newbie's cdrecord questions

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Sun Jul 4 10:14:42 BST 2004

David Noble wrote:
| Advice please,

No problem... :-)

|                         Have just got started with Slackware 9.1, and
now wish
| to get my cdrecorder working.  It plays Audio CDs and mp3s OK.  So....
| I have read a few helpful items via Google and doing :-
|
| dmesg | grep ATAPI  gives:-
|
| hdc: AOPEN COM5232/AAH, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
| hdc: ATAPI 52X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
| scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices

OK, so that looks like the scsi-ide emulation is in there, either
compiled in or built as a module.

| and  then doing   cdrecord scanbus  gives
|
| Cdrecord 2.00.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
| Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
| Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
| scsibus1:
|         1,0,0   100) 'eUSB    ' 'SmartMedia      ' '5.04' Removable Disk
|         1,1,0   101) *
|         1,2,0   102) *
|         1,3,0   103) *
|         1,4,0   104) *
|         1,5,0   105) *
|         1,6,0   106) *
|         1,7,0   107) *
|
| My card reader seems to there but not the cdrecorder,  further reading
| seemed to suggest that the ide-scsi module was not being loaded by
| LILO or GRUB.    I  start linux from a boot disk as I  am a bit wary
of these
| bootloaders ! , so that may be the reason.  I have seen that the required
| module can be loaded manually.    Questions :--

I think the scsi-ide support is already there. You might be missing the
following kernel parameter:

hdc=ide-scsi

But you're booting from floppy, so it's not possible to supply this to
the kernel that way.

| a)  would this have to be done every time I wished to use cdrecord
| b)  how is it done
| c)  if it is done, does the drive still function as before for playing
audio
|      CDs and mp3s

Yes, it appears as a SCSI CD-ROM, and can either be accessed via
/dev/hdc or via /dev/sr0.

| d)  Cdrecod 2.00.3 (see above) mentions " i686-pc-linux-gnu "
|      as my linux box is a Pentium 2  350Mz  which I think is i586
|      does this mean cdrecord isn't going  to work

Hmmmm.... I thought P2's were i686. Might be wrong.

Let me know if you need any more help.