[Wylug-help] newbie's cdrecord questions

David Noble dnoble7 at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Jul 3 20:56:34 BST 2004

Advice please,
                        Have just got started with Slackware 9.1, and now wish
to get my cdrecorder working.  It plays Audio CDs and mp3s OK.  So....
I have read a few helpful items via Google and doing :-

dmesg | grep ATAPI  gives:-

hdc: AOPEN COM5232/AAH, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 52X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices

and  then doing   cdrecord scanbus  gives

Cdrecord 2.00.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'eUSB    ' 'SmartMedia      ' '5.04' Removable Disk
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

My card reader seems to there but not the cdrecorder,  further reading
seemed to suggest that the ide-scsi module was not being loaded by
LILO or GRUB.    I  start linux from a boot disk as I  am a bit wary of these
bootloaders ! , so that may be the reason.  I have seen that the required
module can be loaded manually.    Questions :--
a)  would this have to be done every time I wished to use cdrecord
b)  how is it done
c)  if it is done, does the drive still function as before for playing audio
     CDs and mp3s
d)  Cdrecod 2.00.3 (see above) mentions " i686-pc-linux-gnu "
     as my linux box is a Pentium 2  350Mz  which I think is i586
     does this mean cdrecord isn't going  to work

  Having got into these deeper waters I'm a bit anxious about  making  a
mess of things.
                                     thanks, in advance ,  David