[Wylug-help] Ssh and environment variables.

Thomas, Nicholas nick.thomas at eldon.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 21:46:19 BST 2004

Hi,

I have setup a server machine dedicated to doing builds and releases of our
software products.
We get access to this machine using ssh and sftp.

We recently switched over to ssh and sftp away from the old telnet and ftp.

When we do software builds (using the gcc tool chain) we have to prove that
the build are reproduceable, which requires running an md5sum on the binary
deliverable parts.
Now, when we installed ssh we noticed that the we had a checksum problem.

Simply put, when I use telnet my binaries build OK but the checksum is
different to when I login through ssh and do the same build !!!

I assume that there is some environment variable which is different between
the two sessions.

The problem I have is that our archived software releases were built through
a telnet session. And if I want to reproduce an old build I still have to
use telnet until we get ssh session environment setup exactly the same.

I have read the gcc docs about which env vars affect the compiler but I
still cannot get the ssh environment setup right.

Is there anything I am missing here?

Kind regards

Nick Thomas