[Wylug-help] printer troubles using SAMBA-CUPS

Daniel Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 7 09:43:27 BST 2004

mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net wrote:
> I have a W98 box acting as a printserver (brother HL-1030) to another W98 as a
> workstation, and a RH9 workstation with SAMBA client installed. I downloaded
> ghostscript and ghostview because I could not find a way to convert files to .pdf for
> onward transmission. Prior to the download and installation, the printer was working
> fine for all machines (there's also a RH6.2 LAMP for site testing but I haven't set up
> SAMBA on or tried to print anything from it). Now I cannot print at all from the RH9
> box.

for converting files; ps2pdf is the command, it's usually pretty good.
Kprinter has a print-to-pdf function too, although I suspect it just
calls ps2pdf.

> Ping works fine on all machines including the server, SAMBA works fine for sharing
> files from the W98 workstation to RH9 and certainly recognises the printer. When I
> ask RH9 to print, it acts as though the job is going through fine but nothing comes
> out of the printer - a light doesn't even come on. I've had a look with my very limited
> understanding of what's supposed to happen but can find nothing.

The Brother laser range are a bit tempramental in my experience,
especially when you share them. We had a 1030 at my last place of work
which worked okay-ish over SMB to a Suse box. Which driver are you using?

Dan