[Wylug-help] printer troubles using SAMBA-CUPS

mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Fri Jun 4 15:21:17 BST 2004

I have a W98 box acting as a printserver (brother HL-1030) to another W98 as a
workstation, and a RH9 workstation with SAMBA client installed. I downloaded
ghostscript and ghostview because I could not find a way to convert files to .pdf for
onward transmission. Prior to the download and installation, the printer was working
fine for all machines (there's also a RH6.2 LAMP for site testing but I haven't set up
SAMBA on or tried to print anything from it). Now I cannot print at all from the RH9
box.

Ping works fine on all machines including the server, SAMBA works fine for sharing
files from the W98 workstation to RH9 and certainly recognises the printer. When I
ask RH9 to print, it acts as though the job is going through fine but nothing comes
out of the printer - a light doesn't even come on. I've had a look with my very limited
understanding of what's supposed to happen but can find nothing.

lpc status generates:

   printer is on device 'smb' speed -1 /* I don't understand this except it's correctly
looking to smb for the printer*/
   queuing is enabled
   printing is enabled
   no entries
   daemon present  /* I think it should only be present when processing a print job,
but don't know how to fix that or even if what I've read is accurate*/

any command from lpc> generates:
   <command> is not implemented by the CUPS version of lpc

Can anyone help? I've searched the web and haven't been able to fix it from anything
I've read.

Regards,

Mike GoodmanMike
home: 01924 443335