[Wylug-help] Parallel port oddness, detects printer, won't print

Roger Leigh roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net
Mon Jun 14 21:17:26 BST 2004

James Holden <wylug at jamesholden.net> writes:

> dmesg says:
>
> parport0: PC-style at 0x3bc (0x7bc), irq 7, dma 3
> [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA]
> parport0: faking semi-colon
> parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 2100 Series
>
> thinkpad root # dir / > /dev/lp0
> - -bash: /dev/lp0: No such device
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Bear in mind that `dir > lpt1:` works in DOS.
>
> I have the parport and parport_pc modules loaded. I'm running 2.4.22 on
> Gentoo.

Try "modprobe lp".  I'm surprised that it didn't get autoloaded by
kmod.  Are you using a custom kernel?

If you're using a 2.0.x kernel, the first printer device is /dev/lp1.
For all later kernels, it's /dev/lp0.

whinlatter:~# lsmod [trimmed]
Module                  Size  Used by
parport_pc             21408  1
lp                      8356  0
parport                33256  2 parport_pc,lp

Buried under /etc/modprobe.d/arch/i386, I have:

  alias char-major-6 lp
  alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

A similar setup should have been automatically installed by your
distribution's module-init-tools/modutils package.  In this case,
Debian.

Regards,
Roger

--