[Wylug-help] Configuring syslog to log to a file

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 16:20:13 GMT 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Felix Ulrich-Oltean wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm using "pound" - a reverse proxy - http://www.apsis.ch/pound/ to
> load-balance some zope servers.  Pound logs to syslog, using the
> "daemon" facility.  I'd like to have a separate log file for pound,
> basically a web server access log.
>
> I've read through the syslog.conf man page and poked around
> syslog.conf, but can't figure out how to do it.  I can see how you can
> have separate log files per facility and priority, but not per client
> program.

you can only do per facility and priority  - I'm not sure what syslogNg
can do, it might be more flexible.

Can you alter the facility pound uses? If so pick one of the userN
categories and log these to another file. By the way, I also log virtually
everything to a commo0n file and ALSO log to seperate files for seperate
facilities. That way if something complicated happens you can see all the
log entries in chronological order leading up to the event, and also have
them seperated out for summarising etc in the seperate files.

There again, if pound writes log entries with it's name then a simple grep
will pick all the entries out!