[Wylug-help] Help: I cannot start x server (graphical interface)

Haibo Chen hchen at its.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Mar 30 11:37:56 BST 2004

Dear all,

I come here to ask for your help, as recommended by one of our
university colleagues. I have got a DELL laptop with an ATI Rage Pro
graphical card. I used Windows 2000 before and now I would like to try
Linux on this PC. The Redhat Linux 9 installer went well except the
monitor (TFT) was not picked up correctly. Rather, the Linux installer
selected unprobed monitor as a default. I left it unchanged as I didn’t
know where to go.

When I reboot the machine, I received an error message saying “I
cannot start x server (graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up
correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the
problem?“. I selected Yes for this but at the end, this message came
back again.

Can anyone help me out?

Thank you very much in advance

Haibo