[Wylug-help] Help: I cannot start x server (graphical interface)

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Tue Mar 30 12:54:43 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 11:37, Haibo Chen wrote:
> When I reboot the machine, I received an error message saying “I
> cannot start x server (graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up
> correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the
> problem?“. I selected Yes for this but at the end, this message came
> back again.

You need to get yourself a text console to work in - if you answer no to
the set of startup queries regarding being unable to start the X server
you should finally get a standard login problem (may need to hit return
a couple of times to get that).

Login as root (you set a password during installation).

Run
	redhat-config-xfree86

After a moment you will get a GUI for setting up X.

Select the "Advanced" tab.  You then get information on the currently
selected monitor and card.  You should change the monitor type to
"Generic LCD" or "Generic Laptop Display Panel" and the appropriate
resolution for the box you have.

It will probably get the card type right - however if not select ATI
Rage whatever...

Save & Quit and it *should* work.

Fortunately it sounds like the laptop hardware is old enough that RH9
should support it OK.   Unless you have specific requirements I'd
suggest that Fedora FC1 (or soon FC2) may well be better.

	Nigel.