[Wylug-help] mandrake installation problem - please help

Shaun Laughey shaun.laughey at pyr2.com
Tue May 18 01:07:32 BST 2004

Mandrake  9.2 is rock solid as long as the disks are 100% perfect and
you don't have a LG CD Drive.  I flattened 4 before I checked their
site. Oddly enough I always check the errata now. However after that I
have yet to find a distro that installs as easily. Plus it updated my
8.0 server without too many problems.

10 Community Edition did have some odd dependency problems with the
version I downloaded but a quick forced rpm or too solved that and I
doubt they still have those errors - a non working mozilla is quickly
noticed. I use it every day at work and its very stable and very nice
and I haven't had to boot into windows for a month now. Sheer bliss.

10 Official Power Pack comes with a kernel that doesn't like my AMD 64
and XP machines. So sadly I can't rate that one because it won't install
or work without some effort/time. Both in short supply.

Do you need help restoring your XP boot sector? Partition magic I
thought had a restore boot sector option that should get you up and
running. Failing that the mandrake disk 1 lets you do a 'rescue' of the
boot sector. Depends on how much it managed to install of course. But if
it managed to wipe the boot sector it must have got somewhere near the
lilo bit. Press F1 at the bit that says press F1 for more options. Then
type rescue at the prompt and press the enter/return key and choose
restore/reinstall bootsector from the menu that eventually appears.
Shaun Laughey.
brogue leader.