[Wylug-help] Graphics card problem

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon May 24 16:05:52 BST 2004

Anne Wilson wrote:

>I have an ATi Radeon 9200 in one of my boxes, with the ATi drivers, but
>it must be only working to a point.  glgears (?) runs with a good
>result, so I thought that all was well.  However, I cannot get it to
>work with Linux Video Studio, which was the whole point of that box.
>
>Has anyone got an nvidia board that they would consider lending for the
>purpose of testing?  It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest.  If
>it was of interest I would swap it for the Radeon, assuming that both
>of us could get a good result.
>
>Anne

Anne,

GL support is all very well for glgears, but you must likely need XVideo
support for LVS to work. Open an xterm and run 'xvinfo' to see if you
have support. If it says 'no screens found' then you're lacking the
proper support. XVideo is a bit like the Windows DirectDraw feature, in
that it provides direct access to a reserved area of memory on the video
card. The card then overlays the contents of that memory into the
picture. It's used by TV tuner cards and DVD playback.

James