[Wylug-help] Graphics card problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon May 24 17:53:19 BST 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 16:05, James Holden wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >
> >I have an ATi Radeon 9200 in one of my boxes, with the ATi drivers,
> > but it must be only working to a point.  glgears (?) runs with a
> > good result, so I thought that all was well.  However, I cannot get
> > it to work with Linux Video Studio, which was the whole point of
> > that box.
> >
> >Has anyone got an nvidia board that they would consider lending for
> > the purpose of testing?  It doesn't have to be the latest and
> > greatest.  If it was of interest I would swap it for the Radeon,
> > assuming that both of us could get a good result.
> >
> >Anne
>
> Anne,
>
> GL support is all very well for glgears, but you must likely need
> XVideo support for LVS to work. Open an xterm and run 'xvinfo' to see
> if you have support. If it says 'no screens found' then you're
> lacking the proper support. XVideo is a bit like the Windows
> DirectDraw feature, in that it provides direct access to a reserved
> area of memory on the video card. The card then overlays the contents
> of that memory into the picture. It's used by TV tuner cards and DVD
> playback.
>
> James

Hi, James.  I'm really confused by all this.  Everything was working
under Mdk 9.2 + 2.4 kernel, and that without the ATi drivers, but I
don't seem to be able to get it right with Mdk 10.0 + 2.6 kernel.

xvinfo gives
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
  Adaptor #0: "ATI Radeon Video Overlay"
    number of ports: 1
    port base: 67
    operations supported: PutImage
    supported visuals:
      depth 24, visualID 0x23
etc....

This is the info that is used by LVS, so it isn't seeing the DC10+.
lavplay works fine.  I can't get any of the TV programs to work -
presumably for the same reason.

It has been suggested that I try the GATOS drivers.

I just don't know how to tackle this now.  I feel to be going round in
circles.  The correct zoran driver is there - as I said, I can use
glav, lavplay and lavrec - but I can't see what I'm recording, I have
to monitor it by the sound.

Any help and advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Anne
- --
Registered Linux User No.293302