[WYLUG-help] can't write cds or dvds with fc2

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Nov 1 10:45:24 GMT 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, James Holden wrote:

> --
> Agreed. cdrecord (which I use from time to time ;-) is complaining that
> it can't up its priority.
>
> # chmod u+s `which cdrecord`
>
> ... will fix this.
>
> It is safe to run cdrecord setuid root and in most cases you should do
> so, it won't eat your hard disk. It is normally a bad idea to run
> network-aware things setuid, but cdrecord doesn't interact with the
> network. An alternative is to use sudo, but that runs setuid itself of
> course.
>
> k3b is a nice frontend to cdrecord and mkisofs and I suggest you use
> that. People who want to burn from the command line and remain sane
> usually create a wrapper script for cdrecord to include the most common
> options. Mine looks like this:

I believe fedora dropped back to not making cdrecord setuid due to an issue
whereby it was possible to modify the firmware on your CD recorder as a normal
user, in a way that could let you do interesting things (possibly resulting in
a security leak).

But that's just cobwebs from the back of my brain, so might be wholly untrue.

jh

--
"At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet."     -- Plato