[Wylug-help] Creating DVDs - was DVD Compression

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 13:33:55 GMT 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 11:38 am, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:26:06AM +0000, Gavin Harris wrote:
> > lxdvdrip does a nice job of this.
>
> Depends what you mean by 'nice'.  Hopefully things have improved, but
> when I tested it about 4-6 months ago I spent all my time trying to
> work around segfaults and the like.  I gave up in the end.
>
> Still no debs, aparently.
>
> Dave

Talking of DVD's, can anyone suggest the best way to create them.

A few years back, my brother-in-law had some old family cine-film
professionally copied to VHS.  I now want to copy it to DVD, and if
possible split it into sections and create a menu.

Question is, what do I need to
1) connect my PC to the VHS player,
2) capture the video,
3) edit and split into sections (chapters?)
4) create menu
5)create DVD

If possible, I'd like to do this using my laptop as my desktop and video
are at oposite ends of the room.  This would mean using a USB video
capture device.  Has anyone had any experience of thesem especially
under Linux.

Gary
--
Gary Stainburn