[Wylug-help] Creating DVDs - was DVD Compression

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Nov 18 14:08:28 GMT 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> A few years back, my brother-in-law had some old family cine-film
> professionally copied to VHS.  I now want to copy it to DVD, and if
> possible split it into sections and create a menu.
>
> Question is, what do I need to
> 1) connect my PC to the VHS player,
> 2) capture the video,
> 3) edit and split into sections (chapters?)
> 4) create menu
> 5)create DVD
>
> If possible, I'd like to do this using my laptop as my desktop and video
> are at oposite ends of the room.  This would mean using a USB video
> capture device.  Has anyone had any experience of thesem especially
> under Linux.

On the off chance you can cope with firewire, the canopus advc 100 is the
dogs for dealing with 2.  Works just grand under linux (I've only used it with
kino, but it just uses the video1394 module).

jh

--
"One day everything will be well, that is our hope. Everything's fine today,
  that is our illusion."                              -- Voltaire