[Wylug-help] ad/spyware

chris c.mackins at bradford.ac.uk
Sun Nov 21 18:20:12 GMT 2004

I've now been using MandrakeLinux for about 6 months now - yeah its great.
I'm now on my 3rd version (used 9.2/10/10.1CE and Official).  I'm still
'cutting my teeth' so to speak, but cannot see me going back to M$ - bad
enough having to use it at work!

One of the great benefits and peace of mind with Linux is security - I don't
need to worry constantly over the constant deluge of viruses etc and I also
use a h/w firewall.

However, after speaking to a winblows XP user (who BTW is having issues with
SP2 - that seems to be a reaaly awful bit of s/w) the issue of spyware/adware
was raised.  As far as I'm aware, and from what I seem to have picked up from
googling etc - just like virus defence, I need not worry about this. Is this
the case - or, if not, what software is recommended for installation.

Just for piece of mind folks.

Chris.