[Wylug-help] Browser Detection (and HTML loops)

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 12:12:44 GMT 2004

Hi All,

Ok, a bit OT, but not if we were an 'Open Source' user group ;-)

I'd like to do browser detection using the perl module
HTTP::BrowserDetect

This module is based upon the JavaScript browser detection code
available at

 http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/sniffer/browser_type.html

So I thought I ought to check that out first.

Unfortunately, if you go there you get this message:

  "This document is obsolete and the information in it should not be relied upon.
  The practices described here are not recommended and this document is provided
  only for historical reference. Please see the web-developer documentation index
  page for more up-to-date documentation."

If you then go to http://www.mozilla.org/catalog/web-developer you see nothing
obvious.

If you search the site, you are constantly referred back to

  http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/sniffer/browser_type.html

Who says HTML doesn't have looping (infinite even)?

Can anyone refer me to the currently cannonical reference on this stuff?

Dave