[WYLUG-help] can't write cds or dvds with fc2

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Sat Oct 30 15:49:09 BST 2004

--
Agreed. cdrecord (which I use from time to time ;-) is complaining that
it can't up its priority.

# chmod u+s `which cdrecord`

... will fix this.

It is safe to run cdrecord setuid root and in most cases you should do
so, it won't eat your hard disk. It is normally a bad idea to run
network-aware things setuid, but cdrecord doesn't interact with the
network. An alternative is to use sudo, but that runs setuid itself of
course.

k3b is a nice frontend to cdrecord and mkisofs and I suggest you use
that. People who want to burn from the command line and remain sane
usually create a wrapper script for cdrecord to include the most common
options. Mine looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/freeware/bin/cdrecord device=0,4,0 speed=32 driveropts=burnfree \
padsize=160k -v -eject gracetime=3 $1

Yes, it's a SCSI drive, limited down to 32 speed from 52. The padsize
option is to make sure that ISO images are readable on Linux kernel
versions that suffer from the iso9660 read ahead bug. If you are burning
audio tracks you should use the -pad option instead to pad the track to
a sector boundary. k3b will take care of all this for you though.

James