[Wylug-help] ftp setup

gARetH baBB hick.wylug at gink.org
Tue Sep 21 09:35:34 BST 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Roger Beaumont wrote:

> My son (in China) wants to send me some files that are inconveniently large to
> send as email attachments, so I set vsftpd running...

> Connected to 82.38.54.74:7062
> STOR amber.jpg
> 550 Access is denied

> (Logged on)
> SYST
> 215 UNIX Type:L8
> Host type (S): UNIX (standard)
> PASV
> 227 Entering Passive Mode (82,38,54,74,25,236)
> connecting to 82.38.54.74:6636
> connecting to 82.38.54.74:6636
> connected to 82.38.54.74 port 6636
> LIST
> 150 Here comes the directory listing.
> Received 195 bytes in 0.1 secs, (10.00 Kbps), transfer succeeded
> 226 Directory send OK
> sending amber.jpg as amber.jpg (1 of 1)
> TYPE l
> 200 Switching to Binary mode
> PASV
> 227 Entering Passive Mode (82,38,74,61,239)
> connecting to 82.38.54.74:15855
> connecting to 82.38.54.74:15855
> Connected to 82.38.54.74:15855
> STOR amber.jpg
> 550 Access is denied

Suggests a very intermitent net connection and/or a dodgy overworked
Chinese transparent proxy.

You're the one running the daemon, look at your logs to see why it's
coming back with 550.

> I've suggested that he tries 'ftp' from the (Doze) command line, but he says
> that does the same as his gui s/w.

What's wrong with forgetting about ftp and using scp/pscp ?

> I've ssh'd into a friends machine (to get outside my firewall) and both sftp

sftp is ssh.

> and gftp (cli) let me log in (as my son), list directories, create

gftp also supports the sftp (or similar) transport of ssh, sure you're not
using doing this over ssh ?