[Wylug-help] Power Saving and Wake up

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Wed Sep 22 20:53:26 BST 2004

--
On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 20:28, Dave Roberts wrote:
> I'm setting up a server on my home network using SuSE 9.1. I don't
> particularly want to have it consuming power and equally important
> pumping out heat 24 hours of the day but I do want it to be permanently
> available. So I am looking into power management and wake up. Power down
> doesn't seem to be too much of a problem but I am having difficulty in
> finding much information about waking up a sleeping PC by wake-on-lan or
> similar. I am happy to get a motherboard to suit but could do with some
> advise on the software side. Any ideas appreciated.
>
> Dave Roberts

Power management is pants. Look for a box that doesn't use much in the
first place. Mini-ITX opens several possibilities, and there are some
very nice purpose-made PCs for this sort of job.

Whatever you do, don't set your hard disk to spin down. It'll shorten
its life dramatically. When a disk is actually spinning the clever
bearings almost eliminate contact between two moving surfaces due to the
way oil is forced though them. All the wear occurs when starting and
stopping.

James

James Andrew Holden, Leeds, UK    (james at jamesholden dot net)
GPG Key: 1024D/8358863A    *Please encrypt mail where possible!*
Fingerprint:  32C9 A76F 3CFE A06C 1B00  5AAB 9877 4742 8358 863A
jamesholden.net ICQ: 11290827 >Buy Linux CDs from fastdiscs.com<