[Wylug-help] advice

chris c.mackins at bradford.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 13:44:37 BST 2004

Nevin James (RTR) South Tees NHS Trust wrote:

>Hi
>Can anyone help me get connected to BT Yahoo as ISP?  Am currently
>configured to pay as I go but want their Anytime package for £15 per month
>They sent me the installation CD and I used My Computer to open.  I found
>StartBTYahoo.exe and double clicked  and was then asked to choose an
>application in oder to get the file to run
>Which application do I use?
>am running SUSE linux 9 personal
>If BT Yahoo does not run with Linux which ISP's are alternatives?
>thanks
>
>  James Nevin
>Gynae Oncology, Teesside
>Tel 01642850850 ext 6275
>Secretary (Carol Sturman) 01642282587
>BT Radiopager 07626301895 (Dial this number and leave contact number)
>Emails answered once a day, early morning.
>Please use phone or page to make urgent contact.

www.google.co.uk : suse linux + bt anytime
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=suse+linux+%2B+bt+anytime&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
Results don't look all that great.

I doubt you'll get the software to work, as I bet the last pound in my
pocket it will be M$ compatible.  Not sure how to set a dial up account Try looking at uklinux:   http://uklinux.net/   who also do adsl.

If you're considering another ISP, consider adsl broadband, costs are
coming down (though still expoititavely high compared to USA/Europe
because of BT charging).  You can get as an average, 512kbps for around
£20.00/month (capped) or pay a litle more (23.50/month) and you can
have 24/7 uncapped.  Is anything less than 512kbps really broadband -
nah!

I've used Pipex which works great with linux, but don't expect any linux support. £23.50 inc vat

I use Fasthosts - which at least 'acknowledge' there are linux users - but again, don't expect support. £23.50 inc vat

On both these ISPs you can get cheaper 512kbps ~£20.00/month capped service.

In fact, any adsl service should work perfectly fine with linux -
though I have heard of problems associated with AOL - but even this may
have been overcome by now.

But I don't want to be biased, check out ADSL Guide : http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

With ADSL/Linux you'll not need any software from ISP - instead you'll be given some connection/account details from the ISP which you enter in manually on your internet connection control panel in Suse.

One word of caution - if you do opt for adsl be wary of the modem
you'll be provided with - they will more than likely provide you with a
USB model, and you'll likely pull your hair out for days trying to make
it work.  Many ISPs provide Speedtouch modems and they can be a
nightmare to configure - (though I've also heard that Suse 9.1
accomodates this modem). Of course, there's nothing to stop you buying
another modem instead - they can be relatively cheap nowadays - if you
do, consider an ethernet modem - NO DRIVERS!!

--
Registered Linux user #367476   http://counter.li.org/