[Wylug-help] advice

John Langan langan at pythia.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 16:12:33 BST 2004

> > Nevin James (RTR) South Tees NHS Trust wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> Can anyone help me get connected to BT Yahoo as ISP?  Am currently
> >> configured to pay as I go but want their Anytime package for £15 per

I used BT Anytime for a couple of years with SuSE Linux 7.3 - 9.0 with
no problem except slow transfer rates at busy times.

Use Yast2 > Network > Modem configuration to enter your information.
Select Stupid Mode when asked or else the connection to BT doesn't work,
at least that is what I found.

You don't need anything that BT sent and I assume as you are already
connecting that your modem is not a winmodem.

> > - if you do opt for adsl be wary of the modem
> > you'll be provided with - they will more than likely provide you with a
> > USB model, and you'll likely pull your hair out for days trying to make
> > it work.
> > Of course, there's nothing to stop you buying
> > another modem instead - they can be relatively cheap nowadays - if you
> > do, consider an ethernet modem - NO DRIVERS!!

I agree. I switched to broadband using ethernet and for the difference in price it is well worth it. I had to buy my own modem as the Fujitsu usb modem sent by the ISP was useless.

John Langan.