[Wylug-help] advice

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sun Sep 26 23:00:07 BST 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Roger Beaumont wrote:

> <snip>
>> I agree. I switched to broadband using ethernet and for the difference in
>> price it is well worth it. I had to buy my own modem as the Fujitsu usb
>> modem sent by the ISP was useless.
>
> I went broadband with Blueyonder - they asked about connection and I said
> "ethernet" (the box supplied actually has both ethernet and USB connectors -
> and has http admin) - so no s/w, Linux 'just works'.  It's 768Mbps, with no
> limits, for 25 quid a month.  I'm serving low demand websites (dozens of hits
> per day) over the connection without any hassle, or speed problems.

I think it goog general advice to have a seperate broadband router box for
broadband connections, and connect computer to router by ethernet.

This means several machines can use the broadband at the same time, but
using a switch (or router with several ethernet ports). There is no
special software needed for the computers - just the standard ethernet
stuff.