[Wylug-help] [Wlug-help] Installing a package in Fedora Core2

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 17:38:16 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 17:17 +0100, Mike wrote:
> I have been trying to install a package called Inkscape, a vector
> drawing tool. Whether I try to install using an RPM or source tarball, I
> get the same failure message:
>
> error:Failed dependencies:
> 	libsigc-1.2.so.5 is needed by inkscape-0.39.fdr.1.2
> 	perl(Image::Magick) is needed by inkscape-0.39.fdr.1.2
>
> The whereis command shows:
> 	/usr/local/lib/libsigc-1.2.so.5

If thats in /usr/local/lib it wasn't installed by an rpm (or was
installed by a badly built rpm), so its not in the rpm database, so yum
doesn't know about it.

When using packages the key thing to remember is only install things as
packages - if you build stuff yourself then the package manager doesn't
know about it so will get things wrong.  For this reason I always build
as packages even if the stuff I am building is just to try out on one
machine.

> Whereis and find commands both fail to find ImageMagick. Since the
> meeting I've learned about yum for updating and installing. However, it
> fetches the headers then states:
> 	ImageMagick is installed and is the latest version

Presumably you are trying to install the ImageMagick package.  The
dependency perl(Image::Magick) will need the ImageMagick-perl package.

The real answer here is to add a good extension repository to your yum
list - I'd suggest adding this:-
        [dag]
        name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core 2
        baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/fc$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
                http://apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

Then just do
	yum install inkscape

and let it sort everything out.

If you really need the bleeding edge version (Dag's is a few months
old), either bug Dag to repackage, or take the spec file (at
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/inkscape/ ), modify it for the latest
version, and use that to build a new package.

If you do rebuild the package, DO NOT BUILD AS ROOT.  Instead make a
~/rpmmacros file containing the following (replace /home/nigel with your
home directory)
        %_topdir    /home/nigel/rpmbuild
        %tmpdir    /tmp

Then do a
	mkdir ~/rpmbuild/{SPECS,SOURCES,SRPMS,BUILD,RPMS/{i386,i686,noarch}}

put the spec file in SPECS, the source files in SOURCES and
	rpmbuild -ba specfile

	Nigel.