[Wylug-help] Re:- Notworking

Andy Davidson andyd at lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 6 18:37:07 BST 2005

On 4 Apr 2005, at 14:56, David Noble wrote:

> and  route -n  gives      Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
> Use Iface
> 192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
> 0 eth0
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
> 0 eth0

When you're connected to the internet, the line starting 0.0.0.0 should
be bound to the ppp0 interface.  The reason you don't seem to be able
to see out of your network when you dial  up to the internet, is that
the routing table on your computer is saying 'send all packets that I
don't know what to do with down to 192.168.0.1', when it should be
saying, 'send all packets that I don't know what to do with to [some
router at your isp]'

What's in the file in /etc/ppp/peers which relates to this connection
(i.e. copy and paste.)

>  Hope this helps,  gateway  0.0.0.0 looks suspicious to my simple mind
> !

Just means 'the default route' - where do I send stuff to when it's not
going to a network I explicitly know about.

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
http://www.fotoserve.com/