[Wylug-help] linux and samba at school

Jason Lander jason at env.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Apr 8 11:44:55 BST 2005

John,

> I can now access the Linux server from all our Win2000/2003 servers
> except the server running the ISA, so it seems like the Linux/Samba
> part of things is OK. I cannot access from any of our WinXP stations,
> where I get a "Cannot find the network path" error. Incidentaly, do I
> need the Lmhosts file on the Linux server and what should be in it, if
> so?

It is unlikely to need LMHOSTS as there are at least 3 other ways of
finding a host on the network.

Do you know how the XP boxes and the Linux server are locating other
systems. It could be via:

* DNS from the active directory server
* a Windows Name service (WINS) server
* local network broadcasts

Do the XP boxes have SP2 installed?

In my experience, the default firewall settings stop all but the first
approach from working - possibly because both WINS and broadcasts require
the XP box to announce itself in some way.

- Jason