[Wylug-help] Squid for home user?

pahardy at blueyonder.co.uk pahardy at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 12:32:08 GMT 2005

Morning All,

   I have a dual-boot at home with me on Vector Linux and the rest of the
family (grrr) on Win 98SE. My joy at my son's recent enthusisasm for Linux
is tempered, because Firefox's history suggests he is using it to
avoid the content filter on the Windows partition.

   So I have decided I need a content filter on Linux. Preliminary
investigations suggest I should use Dansguardian (www.dansguardian.org)
but this needs to be piggy-backed on the back of the Squid proxy.

    My question(s) is/are; how sensible (& above all, simple)is it to use
a proxy on a single home machine connected to a cable modem, & would
all content filter solutions need to use a proxy?

    Squid needs to be compiled with a few dependencies, a task I haven't
tackled up to now. Since I'm not aware I have a use for Squid other
than to allow Dansguardian does all this seem overkill?  I have an AMD
Athlon XP1800 with 512Mb RAM, but a small HD with c. 5.5Gb for my root
directory, ~60% used, I presume sufficient to run a proxy.

   Any other "family users" who have had this problem? Thanx in advance,

Paul Hardy
Wakefield