[Wylug-help] Re: [Wylug-discuss] Ubuntu freezes

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 11:41:32 GMT 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:22:41AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'll try it, John, though that would make the box unusable, I think, for
> video-processing, which is its main task.  Still, if that turns out to be the
> problem I guess a new hdd would fix it.

Just another thought ... are you by any chance using a hand-rolled
driver for any of your video kit?

I know that the kernels that work for me have hand-rolled drivers for
the ivtv family of PVR cards, whereas the default Ubuntu kernels may not
have.

I seem to remember that I had to remove a graphics-related distro kernel
module (msp3400) and replace it with a module of the same name from the
ivtv drivers package.  The potential for conflicts with newer kernels is
obvious, although it may have nothing to do with your problem.

Dave