[Wylug-help] Mandrake has seriously screwed up just by doing media updates

C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk C.Mackins at Bradford.ac.uk
Fri Jan 14 18:40:45 GMT 2005

Mandrake 10.1

Wanted to look at security updates.  First I opted to update my media from the
Mandrakelinux Control Centre.

I updated media - bt ran into terrible issues thereafter.  If I call correctly,
I had a system freeze.  So, I logged out/restarted my PC.

I thought it odd that after logging back in, I was greeted by the Mandrake
Welcome screen (I'd turned it off previously).  Then I noticed that my system
was screwed-up - a number of apps were 'lost' > Firefox1/Thunderbird/and the
entire StarOffice7, as well as all my bookmarking in Konqueror browser.

Worse still, all my own directories and all content (i.e. all my work) have also
just 'disappeared'.

On opening a console instead of  the line being[chris at localhost]$ all I now have
is:

bash-2.05b$

I filed a report with bugzilla - but this might take an age for a response - any
suggestions?  On mandrake 9.2 there was a bug with the updates which lost a lot
of desktop icons, this was corrected with a comamnd line instruction.

I'm rather desparate as there was some unbacked work - yes, stupid I know, but I
didn't realise that doing an update would cause me so much concern - has
Mandrake always had update issues?

Any help - much appreciated.

This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to misuse at bradford.ac.uk