[Wylug-help] usb pendrives

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 07:14:13 GMT 2005

Hi Lee,

I am trying to use the built in systems but am finding myself delving deeper
and deeper. I have already tried changing /etc/fstab but I will now have
another go - many thanks for your help.

The drive is recognised as a scsi disc at /dev/sda or /sda1 or /sdc1 or /sdc2
etc depending which way the wind is blowing (I don't yet fully understand why
it differs).

The frustrating thing is that I am pushing the wonders of Linux to my kids,
but when they go to school it just works (on windows) and therefore dad is
thick and linux sucks  (if you are 14).

I am reluctant to give out the root password to make it work so would like to
do it once in Yast and then leave it to the users.

I have not given up yet.

On Friday 21 January 2005 21:47, Lee Evans wrote:
> Hi roger,
>
> couple of simple questions - is it USB Mass storage? and are you using
> Udev?
>
> i have the following in my /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/usb/memstick1   /mnt/usb    vfat    noauto,users   0 0
>
> where /dev/usb/memstick1 is created by udev according to
> my /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules as follows:
>
> BUS="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}="07a0", SYSFS{idVendor}="05e3" KERNEL="sd*"
> NAME="usb/memstick%n
>
> i got the above information from udevinfo - see the following link for
> more info
>
> http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php#
>
> if youre not using udev, it should simply be a scsi drive - so replace
> my memstick stuff with /dev/sdX or whatever - which is easily
> identifiable if you do 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi'
>
> i dont have automounting - but then i have no desire to, so i cant
> really help on that front - sorry :)
>
> hope that helps
>
> lee
>
> On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 20:19 +0000, Roger Greenwood wrote:
> > Am I the only one struggling with this :-
> >
> > Using SuSE 9.1 and 9.2 (on 2 different machines) I have the same problem,
> > usb pendrive (flashdisk) will not auto mount. Can be mounted by root
> > only, cannot change permissions, ordinary users cannot have write access.
> >
> > SuSE help is not helping. Good pointers anyone?
> >
> > I thought this would be so easy by now . . . .
> >
> > Roger Greenwood.
> >

> > --
> > Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
> > 		-- Indian proverb

Make it myself?  But I'm a physical organic chemist!