Fwd: Re: [Wylug-help] redo/reset KDE - is this even possible

chris mackins c.mackins at bradford.ac.uk
Sat Jan 29 13:38:00 GMT 2005

On Saturday 29 Jan 2005 12:13 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Saturday 29 Jan 2005 11:39, chris mackins wrote:
> > I've read  that it might be possible to 'redo' the KDE settings - in
> > order to restore lost icons/folders etc.
> >
> > Other than uninstalling and reinstalling KDE is this even possible?  I've
> > looked at configuration>KDE menu options and cannot see anything even
> > remotely relevant.  Nothing else seems to spring to mind
> >
> > Using Mandrake 10.1 and KDE 3.2
>
> Mandrake is very closely tied to kde, so I would not recommend trying to
> uninstall it.  First, have you set up online sources?  If not, go to
> easyurpmi.zarb.org and follow their instructions to set up one source for
> each section.  It will give you a string of commands which you can paste
> (all at the same time, without problem) into a root console.  This will
> give you access to all the updated packages.  (Select one for plf as well,
> as that gives you packages that Mandrake can't because of licensing
> issues.)
>
> Read http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/UsingUrpmi
>
> This gives you a lot of information about the command line options for
> urpmi. There have been recent security updates for kde, so it is very
> likely that using Software Installer > Updates will offer them - it matches
> what's available with what you have installed.  It also normally resolves
> dependency problems, so hopefully it will sort out all of your problem,
> just by doing an update.  Software Installer is a good gui - but it can't
> give the breadth of options that the command line does.  I'd recommend
> using it for all the straightforward stuff though, as selecting the Maximum
> Information button displays a lot about the packages.  HTH
>
> Anne

Thanks for this Anne.

Yes, I've set up my online (easyurpmi sources) but this hasn't recovered my
lost data  - unfortunately this question today still pertains to an issue I
posted here at WYLUG a couple or so weeks ago, when I did a media update
(through MCC) I lost a lot of apps and saved work.  I never was able to
recover from the disaster- for now the box is unplugged, whilst I wait for a
possible solution - I was rather hoping I'd found it!

Thanks for the link though, it look to be a very comprehensive page, I'll
 read through it bookmark it for reference.

Chris.