[Wylug-help] networking laptop woes [Red Hat DHCP logging]

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 13:24:02 BST 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:14:46PM +0100, Mike Goodman wrote:
>> lsmod, dmesg and lspci. Do they help? I can't find any log files that
>> mean anything to me regarding LAN but I'm happy to copy them all across
>> if it may help. They're in /var/log but there is no /var/log/syslog and
>> nosing around elsewhere for a couple of hours late last night didn't
>> throw light on anything.
>
> I still think that your best bet is to find the DHCP-related logs.
> Otherwise your stabs in the dark are likely to be as effective as
> playing 'pin the head on a trans-dimensional pan-galactic improbability
> donkey'.

There's always the alternative of just using a static IP setup, and fill in
the IP and gateway with what you *know* to be correct.

> Hopefully some Red Hat user on the list can tell us where the relevant
> logs  are on your system.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if RH did something 'special' with DHCP, but I'd
> be gobsmacked if you didn't have a syslog somewhere.

/var/log/messages should be what he's after.

In /var/log/messages the evil people who are Redhat have made it output the
deeply confusing message:

ifup: Determining IP information for eth0...
dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.0.1
NET: /sbin/dhclient-script : updated /etc/resolv.conf
dhclient: bound to 192.168.0.2 -- renewal in 854 seconds

Quit the inane distro bashing Dave, it's not [wylug-]helpful.

Do you want to have a look through /var/log/messages (searching for eth0
should find the bits we're interested in)?

Is it definitely configured correctly?  What is in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?

> If we can identify the correct log files, we can probably tell you what
> to search for inside them ... I'm pretty certain that you won't find
> much useful with a search term like 'LAN'.

Indeed not.

jh

--
"People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine"
                                                      -- Banksy