[Wylug-help] networking laptop woes [Red Hat DHCP logging]

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 14 11:45:25 BST 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Mike Goodman wrote:

> Thanks, John. Knoppix got a connection immediately. Your suggestion is
> also reinforced by the fact that, even when I set an IP address
> manually, I couldn't get onto the network. However, I have the latest
> available FC4 dist on it, because once a release is out the only update
> is via yum, apt, or whatever - and I need access to the network to get
> that :o( Indeed, updating and adding new software is the primary reason
> for wanting to get the box onto the LAN. My newly acquired memory stick
> can transfer files quickly and easily.

You can always download the updates from another machine and put your memory
stick to use:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/

I'm not sure what you'll need to download, start with the latest kernel rpm,
then do:

rpm -Uvh foo.rpm

If it says it wants anything else then download those too and put that
filename on the end:

rpm -Uvh foo.rpm bar.rpm

jh

--
"The Falklands thing was a fight between two bald men over a comb."
                                                      -- Jorge Luis Borges