[Wylug-help] Laptop networking woes

Mike Goodman mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Fri Jul 15 10:44:13 BST 2005

The "live" version of Ubuntu found the network immediately. So I loaded
the "install" version. I found exactly what put me off Mandrake when I
tried it some time ago. The root user is not set up during the
installation procedure. When I want to do anything, I need a password
and whatever password it's looking for, it's not one I gave to it. I
really don't want to go through another long learning curve before I can
do some work on the dratted thing. It's back to FC4 and the memory stick
until FC5 comes out. I may pluck up the courage to try John Hodrien's
suggestion re updating the kernel. But then, I may not. Earlier
flirtations with a kernel led to a broken heart - mine :(

The greatest lesson to come out of this for me is, once briefed by
someone who knows what they're talking about, keep what's been said
firmly at the forefront and utterly ignore the siren tones of any CCL
Computers salesman! Then I would never have ended up with this laptop
model in the first place.

Well, folks, thanks once more for all your help. Sorry it hasn't
produced a result, other than showing me conclusively that many of you
really do know what you're talking about and that you have systematic
approach to problem solving. I just wish I understood the system a bit
better! ;)

Best regards,

Mike