[Wylug-help] Strange Xorg - Ubuntu Breezy

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Sat Jul 16 20:10:21 BST 2005

I've just 'upgraded' one box to Breezy (i.e. Ubuntu's 'unstable'
release) in order to take a look at the developing schooltool package,
and run into a strange situation.

X is broken, but it's the error message thrown up that has me puzzled.

I can't cut 'n' paste it, but the gist of it is:

  "can't read symbolic link /etc/X11/X, invalid argument"

The strange thing is that /etc/X11/X is definitely _not_ a symbolic
link.

It has an ordinary file's permission bits, and it's 1.7M, which
is pretty damn big for a symlink.

A quick look inside it with vim, further suggests that it is an ordinary
ELF binary.

Anyone know what's going on, or can hazard a guess?

Could this just be a packager's cock-up? (e.g. dereferencing the link?)

The /etc/X11/X file is very nearly as big as the Xorg binary in
/usr/X11R6/bin

Dave