[Wylug-help] Strange Xorg - Ubuntu Breezy [Mode Clock]

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jul 18 12:57:02 BST 2005

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 01:27:48PM +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>   (1600x1200,Generic Monitor) mode clock 162MHz exceeds DDC maximum 140MHz
>
> Actually, a closer look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log suggests that Xorg is
> reading /etx/X11/xorg.conf, but doing its own checks including querying
> the hardware.

>  1. All the font paths fail (because the fonts.dir files it's looking
>  for in /usr/share/X11/fonts/xxx appear to be in
>  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/xxx and there are no symlinks

>  2. Xorg appears to think that my Flat Panel monitor is actually a CRT,
>  despite correctly identifying the model name!

That's your misunderstanding.  It's identified that you haven't got a digital
flat panel (DVI-D connected screen) which you haven't.  You connect your flat
panel to your graphics card with a standard analogue cable, so as far as the
computer is concerned, you have an analogue monitor.

>  3. Xorg is checking for all sorts of video modes that I've never asked
>  for ... because they are returned by the hardware detection?

I believe it's just matching compiled in modes against what your graphics card
and monitor can cope with according to the config you've specified / DDC.
Keep on ignoring it.

jh

--
"...you died a good death if your life had inspired someone to come forward
  and shoot your murderer in the chest, without asking to be paid."