[Wylug-help] Strange Xorg - Ubuntu Breezy [Mode Clock]

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sun Jul 17 17:26:14 BST 2005

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:43:49PM +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> If I find out anything useful or merely interesting I'll let people
>> know.
>
> This error looks a bit serious:
>
>  (1600x1200,Generic Monitor) mode clock 162MHz exceeds DDC maximum 140MHz

Nope.  It's just saying that 1600x1200 (at ~85Hz) isn't a good call on your
monitor.  1600*1200*85 = 163.2 Million.  It's not worth worrying about, X
seems to enumerate the modes it has compiled in to check if they'll work on
your hardware.

> I've tried to set the video mode to
>
>  1024x768 @ 60Hz
>
> The resulting xorg.conf file shows the following:
>
>  HorizSync       28-49
>  VertRefresh     43-72
>  <snip>
>  SubSection "Display"
>          Depth           24
>          Modes           "1024x768"
>  EndSubSection
>
> The figures for HorizSync and VertRefresh seem to match the preset display
> modes for my monitor:
>
>   http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E173FP/English/specs.htm#Preset%20Display%20Modes
>
> But I can't see a specific 'mode clock' setting.

You've done enough.

> From what I read on the specs page, it looks as though Xorg is either
> misreading the Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) data it recieves
> via the Display Data Channel (DDC) protocol, or is just ignoring it and
> making up its own figure.

Looks perfectly reasonable to me.

> Can anyone tell me:
>
>  1. What (if any) relationship there might be between the refresh rates /
>  resolution and the 'mode clock'

Done.

>  2. How I could set the mode clock to something less than the maximum, or
>  (preferrably) set it to an optimum figure?

What's the actual error that's stopping X from starting?

jh

--
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyways."
                                                      -- Anon.