[Wylug-help] new email server

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 10:37:25 BST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 10:01 +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I'm looking at replacing my aging RH7.3+Exim 3 + Sophos + home-grown
> scripts with a FC3+Exim 4+ Sophos + whatever.
>
> I'm looking at virus and SPAM filtering.  Can anyone suggest good
> configs and options.

Personally I'd use something like Centos 4.0 (a RHEL clone - see
http://centos.org/ ) as a base rather than Fedora for a server - Fedora
installs last a maximum of 12 months before they go unsupported, and
Fedora Legacy has not really picked this up well.  RHEL and Centos has a
much longer supported service life.  But maybe you enjoy 6 monthly
upgrades (FC4 comes out in this month, FC5t1 will come out in 3-4 months
time - at that point FC3 goes out of support).

Personally I use Exim 4 with SA and ClamAV.  ClamAV works really well -
so far there has been one virus thats got through it in the few years I
have been running this config (the virus, or rather HTML exploit,
arrived less than an hour before the AV update).

Exim 4.5x includes exiscan which performs SMTP time virus and AV
scanning.  Earlier versions (you don't want to do that - although I'll
admit the FC3 & Centos 4.0 versions are earlier than that but do include
both security updates and the exiscan patch).

Information on configuring this is available in several places - a good
one is Tim Jackson's site:-
  http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/exim.php

ClamAV, a more updated SpamAssassin and also exim 4.51 packages are
available on ATrpms - http://atrpms.net/

Alternatively you can pick them up ClamAV and SpamAssassin from
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/packages.php

Both of those repos will give you a yum capable interface so you can
apply automatic updates.

	Nigel.