[Wylug-help] Adding new disks, include in volume group

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 15:05:36 BST 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 10:10 am, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>
> I've been a very lazy bunny with lvm, so I'd do something like:
>
> partition the disks as you see fit (say one big part on each).
>
> system-config-lvm

Which RPM do I need for this?

>     create PVs on both of the disks
>     add them to your existing VG
>
> Nice and clear what you're doing using that, and helps stop me being
> stupid.
>
> run lvresize to increase the size of /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
> run ext2online /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 to do an online
> mounted resize of your / filesystem.
>
> That should do it shouldn't it?
>
> Obviously backup everything before hand, blah, blah, blah.
>
> jh

As I didn't have system-config-lvm I did it manually, but I'm stuck. The
session is below.

Gary

[root at larry1 ~]# pvcreate /dev/hdb
  Physical volume "/dev/hdb" successfully created
[root at larry1 ~]# vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/hdb
  Volume group "VolGroup00" successfully extended
[root at larry1 ~]# lvextend -L +40G /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
/dev/hdb
  Volume group mapper doesn't exist

--
Gary Stainburn