[Wylug-help] Grub, dual boot query

Dave Brotherstone davebrotherstone at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 17:44:44 BST 2005

Are you using grub or lilo?  Presumably hda is set to boot in the BIOS
(probably HDD0), so  (in my limited understanding), you'll need the
MBR (master boot record) of HDD0 to contain your linux compatible
bootloader, eg. grub or lilo.  With grub, there's some fairly easy
instructions on the man page about using "chainloader" in the config
file to get w98 to boot of a separate disk.

To install grub, once you've got it setup (sorry, no longer a redhat
person, but presumably there's an RPM for it), just type grub.   Then
at the prompt, "root (1,0)", then "setup (0,0)", i think.  This will
install a bootloader on the first disk (0,0), and set the root to be
the second disk (1,0).

Beware to read the manpage first, because I presume you'll need to
take a copy of the existing boot loader for win98 BEFORE you do the
setup (0,0) in order to enable booting w98.  And my memory on these
things isn't great, as it's not something you very often obviously!
man grub should tell you all you need to know about chain loading
other OSes.

hth,

Dave.