[Wylug-help] Grub, dual boot query

Dave Roberts dave.roberts at unisonfree.net
Fri Jun 17 19:18:31 BST 2005

Mike, Did something similar about 12 months ago with SuSE and Win2000 so
I can vaughly recall what I did. The config file in SuSE is in
/boot/grub/menu1st but in Fedora I am guessing that it is
/boot/grub/grub.conf. Here is an extract from the file I set up at the time:

default 0
timeout 10

title linux
   kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3   vga=791
   initrd (hd0,0)/initrd

title floppy
   root (fd0)
   chainloader +1

title failsafe
   kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda3 ide=nodma apm=off
acpi=off vga=
normal nosmp disableapic maxcpus=0 3
   initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.shipped

title Windows 2000 Pro
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
root (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

Setting default to 0 through to 3 will determine the default boot - 0
will boot Linux, 3 will boot Windows. Use the above code as a guide
rather than reproduce it, your will be slightly different. The important
thing if you are wanting to boot Linux on the second drive is the "map"
line. I think this confuses windows into not knowing which drive it's on.

Anyway hope it's some use. You did say that you didn't mind if you broke
it didn't you!!!

Good luck

Dave

Mike wrote:

>Overwhelmed by the rush of advice (lol), I tried again simply following
>the guidance on the RH website about installing for dual boot - no
>attempts to alter anything, the installation pages telling me it would
>boot from hda and install everything FC4 including boot directory on
>hdb, and got exactly the same result. When I reboot it goes straight
>into W98 without any options shown on the way.
>
>To recap, I have a single cpu, two hdds (1 x 60GB with W98 = hda, 1 x
>80GB with, I hope, FC4 workstation = hdb) & 384 MB RAM. I am installing
>from 4 CDs downloaded with stenz-torrent before burning. The Anaconda
>check showed them as OK.
>
>Any ideas, even a little comment from anyone, would be welcome.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Mike

>---
>avast! Antivirus: Inbound message was clean.
>Virus Database (VPS): 0524-5, 17/06/2005
>Tested on: 17/06/2005 18:31:19
>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message was clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-5, 17/06/2005
Tested on: 17/06/2005 19:09:56