[Wylug-help] Grub, dual boot query

Don Magee don at leedsweb.dyndns.org
Sun Jun 19 18:35:24 BST 2005

Mike wrote:
> Thanks, Andreas. It actually looked as though it was going to do
> something going through the upgrade routine, then finally came up with
> "No kernel packages were installed on your system. Your boot loader
> configuration will not be changed." On rebooting the first screen I saw
> was, as usual, Grisoft AVG doing its stuff on the way to W98.
>
> As I go into the upgrade routine, I have to insert FC4 disc1 into the
> CDROM drive. It searches for installations then asks if I want to
> install or upgrade, I check the upgrade option. The next screen asks me
> what I would like to do. I chose "Create new boot loader configuration",
> third choice after "update boot loader config . ."(greyed out, can't
> select it) and "skip boot loader updating . . "(default option).
>
> Next screen says Boot loader will be installed on /dev/hda then "You can
> config . . blah blah . . .". Under Default, Label and Device columns,
> Fedora Core, /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 is checked and Other, /hda1 is
> unchecked. Add, Edit, and Delete are the three options down the side.
>
> Further options are Use a boot loader password (unchecked) and Configure
> advanced boot loader options (checked)
>
> Clicking Next gives me a screen which has the first of the following
> options checked, the second unchecked, exactly as I would expect to be
> correct for what I want (FC4 to be the first boot option):
> Install Boot Loader record on:
> /dev/hda Master Boor Record (MBR)
> /dev/hdb1 First sector of boot partition
> There is a button with "Change Driver Order" on but, I understand, this
> is only useful using SCSI drives. I am not. Besides, IDE1 is not a
> booting option in BIOS which, I assume, means it won't go straight into
> hdb anyway.
>
> next comes the option "Force LBA2 (not normally required)" which is
> unchecked.
>
> Finally, there is a box to enter general kernel parameters, which enable
> you to add default options to the boot command.
>
> Following this through and accepting the options as presented above
> produced no change, as reported earlier. The problem is, if I were to do
> anything else, I do not understand what I am doing anyway!
>
> All of the above boot loader screens are the same for both upgrade and
> installation. It seems one must be done to get into the Linux
> installation before you can see, let alone configure, grub. If there is
> a "correct" way to proceed with either upgrade or re-installation which
> varies from the above, would someone please guide me. Otherwise, does
> anyone know of a work-around I may be able to use? Perhaps something off
> the command line on booting with the rescue CD, or along the path of one
> of its options?
>
> If anyone has the time to talk me through it, I can be reached (whilst
> here) on 01924 485387. I'd be very happy to call straight back. If not,
> please keep the suggestions coming and I'll try them out.
>
> Many thanks.

> [...]

 From what I've read of this thread it seems that you have a linux
system installed on /dev/hdb1 and a windows boot loader on the boot disk.

I suggest that you try to boot /dev/hdb1 from a grub floppy to test if
you have a credible linux system installed. If you don't have a grub
boot floppy, the easiest way to get one is to boot from a knoppix cd,
put a formatted floppy in the drive and type grub-floppy.

Regards

Don Magee