[Wylug-help] Grub, dual boot query

Mike mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Sun Jun 19 19:43:37 BST 2005

Thanks, Don. Progress, I think, but still cloudy.

Using a Knoppix CD, opened a terminal and typed "grub-floppy" which
elicited the response "Can't find /lib/grub/*-*/stage1, aborting".

However, Knoppix shows the discs and partitions on the "desktop" screen
and I note hda1-10 (all its W98 partitions) and hdb1, hdb2.
Knoppix-Konqueror showed me hdb1 contains grub/ with device map,
grub.conf and all the usual suspects along with vmlinux-2.6.1, Systemmap
et al (same level as grub/).

On trying to see what's in hdb2, Knoppix-Konqueror came up with "Could
not mount device. The reported error was: mount: I could not determine
the filesystem type, and none was specified." Does that mean I have a
duff installation, or that Knoppix can't get past the boot loader
password? I suspect the former, but will try a standard installation
without boot loader password anyway. If it works, at least I'll have
eliminated suspicion of:

The main suspects now, it would seem, would be the HDD and the quality
of the downloaded iso images I used, or their copying onto CD, done on
Nero with the W98 box. I have another 80GB HDD I could try and have so
far downloaded three of the four CDs onto my FC2 box, to burn with
cdrecord, then to try another install. The download can continue on this
box while I try another install on the other. Mumbo-jumbo? Whassat? Very
time consuming is what!

Any quicker test methods, or indeed comments on anything I may have
missed or am not understanding, gratefully received.

Thanks again to all of you. I get a feeling we're getting there, albeit
slowly.

Mike