[Wylug-help] Grub, dual boot query

Mike Goodman mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Mon Jun 27 17:32:27 BST 2005

And you all thought this one had gone away! Seriously, though, I've now
tried the same thing, adding IDE1 to IDE0 where IDE0 has FC2 and tried
the W98SE box. So I swapped and made the HDD with FC2 on the slave and
installed FC4 on the master. I now have a system which sees only hda on
booting, as before, but this one holds FC4. I added "(hd1)   /dev/hdb"
to /boot/grub/device.map and now need to change /boot/grub/grub.conf.
Herewith what /boot/grub/grub.conf on hd0 contains, then
/boot/grub/grub.conf on hd1. Can anyone suggest how I should amalgamate
them? If we name them grub1 and grub2 respectively, exactly which lines
of grub2 should I add to grub1?

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

is the hda=hd0 content and hdb=hd1 has:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda                            //this is what it says,
although it is now hdb - should I change it on hdb, too?
default=0
timeout=10
//leave off up to here?
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz                              //do
I need this and/or the next line?
password --md5 **********?encrypted-boot-loader-password?***********
title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.770_FC2)
        root (hd0,0)                            //simply change to root
(hd1,0) ?
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC2 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.10-1.770_FC2.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.12_FC2)
        root (hd0,0)                             //leave this and
subsequent blocks off?
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.12_FC2 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.10-1.12_FC2.img
(plus four more similar blocks, one added each time yum update was run)

Then I'll have another go at the W98SE box!

Best regards,

Mike Goodman