[Wylug-help] Linux Notebooks

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 11:12:54 BST 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 10:08:41AM +0100, Erskine, John wrote:
>    I'm thinking about getting a cheap laptop, but one which allow me a
>    wireless connection but finding one without Windows seems quite difficult
>    (don't need it and don't want it). I also don't see why I should pay for
>    something I have no intention of using.
>
>    Anyone got any ideas or recommendations?

1. The cheapest and easy option:

   Buy a GBP 299 Dell laptop with Windows installed, install over it,
   and just accept the fact that you are disgruntled by the Microsoft
   tax.

   If you take this option, I'd recommend Ubuntu/Kubuntu or Knoppix ...
   both have good hardware detection, and the latter has the best
   desktop integration that money can't buy.

2. The easiest, but not the cheapest option:

   Buy a pre-installed Linux laptop or a HP Ubuntu laptop. (HP don't
   install an OS at all, but the Ubuntu distro they ship with their
   laptops has been tested against all the HP hardware).

3. The painful, but pure, option

   Buy the same cheap laptop from Dell, then pursrue Microsoft through
   the courts for your money back  ... some people have had success with
   this in Australia and California, but I don't think it's worth 2
   years of my life to achieve  ... better to contribute to a
   well-organised class action by professional lawyers.

Dave