[WYLUG-help] still trying to get this machine to copy cds/dvds

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Mar 3 10:10:50 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Mike wrote:

> Now, the same magazine suggests the bootloader will need to be modified,
> and says append a line to lilo.conf append = "hdd=ide-scsi"

Anne's point is right here, and this is also what's causing you problems here.
You can specify the device by name now, which can make your life a lot easier.
Even better, the default is stored in a config file (/etc/cdrecord.conf), and
FC2 normally gets it right.  This means you'd expect:

cdrecord foo.iso

to work.

If it doesn't try

cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdc

where hdc should be replaced by whatever device your DVDR is or show us the
output of cdrecord -scanbus.

> All very well, but I use grub so would that line work? I don't want
> another disaster on my system. My /bott/grub/boot.conf reads:

Ignore this step.

jh

--
"Knowledge is a polite word for dead but not buried imagination."
                                                      -- E E Cummings